Fastback and Convertible evokes the essential character of the brand, retaining key design elements – including the long sculpted bonnet and short rear deck – with contemporary execution
- Mustang launches alongside a record number of new or updated vehicles – including Australian-developed Ranger and Everest – as Ford invests heavily in Australia with on-going plans to continue to invest heavily in R&D in 2016 and even more new products
- Aviation-inspired cockpit, which is executed with the highest degree of craftsmanship
- More compact roof and independent suspension contribute to competitive luggage space that can hold two golf bags
- 9 million plus Mustangs sold in its 50 years of continuous production
MELBOURNE, 19 Jan, 2016 – Loaded with innovative technologies and delivering high levels of performance and style, the all-new Mustang is the next chapter in the life of one of the world’s most iconic cars.
“Ford Mustang truly inspires passion like no other car and it has the iconic history to back it up,” according to Graeme Whickman, Ford President and CEO.
“The visceral look, sound and performance of Mustang resonates with people, even if they’ve never driven one. It is more than just a car – it is the heart and soul of Ford and with 4,000 orders in Australia, it proves that Ford customers love Mustang and have been waiting for its return.
“Mustang also provides a logical step in the Ford Performance story, which includes the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and soon, Focus RS. Of course we cannot discuss performance without including the Falcon XR series sedans as well.”
Mustang’s impact goes well beyond the 9 million-plus cars sold in its 50 years of continuous production. It has made thousands of appearances in film, television, music and video games, and is the world’s most-liked vehicle on Facebook. The return of the Mustang to Australia is part of a global plan for the Fastback and Convertible.
The arrival of Mustang continues Ford’s transformation story. Ford is refreshing its Australian line-up faster than ever with 20 vehicles planned by 2020. Ford also is the only automaker that will continue to fully develop vehicles in Australia with on-going plans to continue to invest heavily in R&D in 2016 on top of nearly $2 billion the past six years.
“Many people think the auto industry is closing in Australia, but Ford’s billions of dollars of R&D investment locally and launch of world-class vehicles such as Mustang demonstrate our commitment to serving our customers and communities,” Whickman said.
The arrival of Mustang comes on the back of an aggressive 2015 product onslaught that has included:
- 2015 Ranger: Quickly becoming an award-winning pickup with the features, content and safety customers expect. The Ranger PX MkII has built its momentum after cutting Toyota HiLux’s sales lead by more than 40 per cent since 2011
- 2015 LZ Focus: Featuring a new 1.5-litre EcoBoost powerplant, refreshed exterior and interior, the LZ Focus is receiving critical acclaim by the country’s leading auto media
- 2015 Mondeo: Featuring powerful EcoBoost technology, the Mondeo also has a raft of key driver assistance technologies as well as bringing the company’s world-first Inflatable Rear Seatbelts to Australia, which is standard across the Mondeo range
- All-New Ford Everest: The Australian designed and engineered Everest is a technologically advanced, stunningly capable and refined seven-seat SUV
The Mustang experience
The way Mustang looks, drives and sounds is key to the visceral experience that makes drivers just want to get in the driver’s seat and hit the road. Australian customers can choose between either a four or eight-cylinder engine.
It’s the first time a powerful four cylinder has been offered in the iconic car. With either a state-of-the-art 2.3-litre EcoBoost or 5.0-litre V8 available for customers, there is a Mustang to fit any lifestyle.
The Mustang’s EcoBoost engine uses direct injection, variable cam timing and turbocharging to deliver plenty of usable performance across a broad RPM range. A unique intake manifold and turbocharger housing enable it to deliver the performance Mustang drivers expect with 233 kW and 432 Nm of torque*.
Mustang GT continues with the latest edition of the throaty 5.0-litre V8, now featuring an upgraded valve-train and cylinder heads that help boost output to 306 kW and 530 Nm of torque*. A new intake manifold features charge motion control valves to partially close off port flow at lower engine speeds.
This increases the air charge tumble and swirl for improved air-fuel mixing resulting in improved efficiency and idle stability.
Drivers will appreciate smoother shifts from the updated manual gearbox, while a reworked six-speed automatic transmission features new steering wheel-mounted shift paddles for drivers who want the choice between convenience and control.
All-new shape, yet unmistakably Mustang
The clean-sheet design of both Mustang Fastback and Convertible evokes the essential character of the brand, retaining key design elements – including the long sculpted bonnet and short rear deck – with contemporary execution.
Several key design features define the all-new Mustang, including:
- A lower, wider stance with a reduction in roof height, and wider rear mudguards and track
- The return of Mustang Fastback with a sleeker profile enabled by more steeply sloped windshield and rear glass
- Three-dimensional, tri-bar tail-lamps
- Contemporary execution of the signature shark-bite front fascia and trapezoidal grille
The information and controls an active driver needs are all readily accessible in the aviation-inspired cockpit, which is executed with the highest degree of craftsmanship ever found in a Mustang.
Large, clear instrumentation puts vehicle information right in front of the driver in the roomier cabin, while improved ergonomics and tactile switches and knobs provide better control. The added width and a new rear suspension contribute to improved packaging and shoulder and hip room for rear-seat passengers, and a more usefully shaped boot that can accommodate two golf bags.
Slipping through the air
Design and performance are two of the essential attributes that have made Mustang appeal to millions of fans for five decades.
Performance can be improved by increasing the output of the powerplant or reducing the amount of work it has to do. The sleeker shape of the all-new Mustang helps it slip through the air with less effort.
Each of Mustang’s two available engines gets a unique grille that allows in only as much air as that specific powerplant needs.
Carving up the curves
When the road becomes demanding, the all-new Mustang sets handling benchmarks for the brand, delivering world-class dynamics and ride quality.
Mustang features all-new front and rear suspension systems. At the front, a new perimeter subframe helps to stiffen the structure while reducing mass, providing a better foundation for more predictable wheel control that benefits handling, steering and ride.
The new double-ball-joint front MacPherson strut system also enables the use of larger, more powerful brakes.
The all-new Mustang has the most capable brake lineup ever offered on a Mustang. At the rear is an all-new integral-link independent rear suspension. The geometry, springs, dampers and bushings all have been specifically modified and tuned for this high-performance application. New aluminum rear knuckles help reduce unsprung mass for improved ride and handling.
Smarter than your average pony
The all-new Mustang features a significant amount of innovative technologies providing drivers with enhanced information, control and connectivity when they want it.
From Smart Keyless Entry with Push Button Start to SYNC2 and MyKey in every Mustang built, plus standard Track Apps™, drivers will be able to customise their time behind the wheel. The feeling of freedom and confidence Mustang instills in its drivers is amplified when they can take control of how the car behaves.
On a twisty back road or a weekend track day, the driver can tap the toggle switches on the console to quickly adjust steering effort, engine response, and transmission and electronic stability control settings using the four available Selectable Drive Modes – Normal, Sport+, Track and Snow/Wet to create the perfect Mustang experience at any time.
Each setting activates predefined powertrain and chassis calibrations suited to that particular driving situation:
- Normal mode delivers a balance of comfort and responsive handling for an engaging driving experience
- Sport+ mode provides a more responsive steering and throttle response, plus different shift points if your Mustang is equipped with the SelectShift* automatic transmission
- Track mode is designed for the motor enthusiast who occasionally hits the track when pure performance is desired. It produces a more powerful engine sound and provides a performance driving experience by allowing the engine to respond directly to the driver
- Snow/Wet mode comes in handy when road conditions take a turn for the worse, providing a connected-to-the-road feel without sacrificing any of the inherent composure of the Mustang
The advanced new Ford-developed stability control system is tuned to maximise Mustang’s dynamic capabilities.
Debuting on the all-new Mustang is SYNC2 with Emergency Assistance as standard.
More airbags, more high-strength steel
An all-new inflatable airbag restraint design provides the front seat passenger with knee airbag protection while significantly reducing system size and weight, enabling a roomier interior for more comfort.
This new knee airbag is part of a standard comprehensive safety system that includes a more robust package of sensors and seatbelt anchor pretensioners.
Mustang also features the widespread use of high-strength steels in its construction.
50 years of Mustang
April 17, 2014, marked the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the original Ford Mustang and each Mustang model celebrates the milestone with a badge on the instrument panel that includes the galloping pony logo and the words “Mustang – Since 1964”.
Mustang will continue to be built in the United States at Flat Rock Assembly Plant.
*Performance data measured using premium fuel 95-98 RON