Powered-up, track-focused, limited-edition BMW M4 GTS confirmed for Australia.
- Classic BMW in-line six-cylinder petrol engine features twin turbochargers and race-inspired water injection to produce 368kW/600Nm.
- Benchmark 0-100km/h acceleration achieved in 3.8 seconds, 305km/h top speed potential.
- Nurburgring Nordschleife lap-time set at 7 minutes, 28 seconds.
- Model-specific adjustable suspension enables owners to set M4 GTS up to individual requirements.
- Track-ready aerodynamics package includes adjustable carbon-fibre rear wing and two-setting carbon-fibre front splitter.
- Weight reduction measures include standard M Carbon Ceramic brakes, Recaro carbon bucket seats, rear seat deletion and Alcantara-trimmed central console.
- M4 GTS introduces tail lights with Organic LED technology.
- 25-unit Australian allocation (out of 700 examples world-wide) already sold out, with first deliveries due from September.
- Priced from $295,000 plus on-road costs.
Channelling the spirit of the legendary BMW E46 M3 CSL, the new, limited-edition BMW M4 GTS’s iconic status is assured by the 25-unit (out of 700 global production) Australian allocation being already spoken for. Deliveries for this road-going race car are expected from September.
“The BMW M4 GTS is a sports car radically designed for superior dynamics and breath-taking performance on the race track,” said Frank van Meel, Chief Executive Officer of BMW M GmbH.
“This is our way of demonstrating what is possible with a road-legal vehicle today.”
Priced from $295,000*, the BMW M4 GTS features BMW M’s latest thinking in lightweight construction and racetrack engineering, while simultaneously increasing power output.
BMW M has further honed the remarkable 3.0-litre, twin-turbocharged straight-six found in the M3 and M4 via the addition of a water injection system. A world first for a production car, the M4 GTS draws from a five-litre water tank (mounted in the luggage compartment floor) to spray water mist into the engine’s air intake collector. Capable of reducing combustion chamber temperatures by around 25 degrees Celsius, the water injection system allows more efficient combustion, enabling higher charging pressure (from 2.2 to 2.5bar) and an earlier ignition point.
Successfully tested on the BMW M4 MotoGP Safety Car in 2015, this innovative system contributes to a peak power output of 368kW at 6250rpm and 600Nm from 4000-5500rpm.
Paired exclusively to BMW’s seven-speed M DCT double-clutch transmission, the M4 GTS is capable of hitting 100km/h from standstill in only 3.8 seconds, thanks to an integrated launch control system. Top speed is a rousing 305km/h.
Weighing only 1510kg (DIN), the BMW M4 GTS is 30kg lighter than a regular BMW M4 fitted with the seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission.
On approach, these weight saving measures are immediately revealed by the extensive use of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) in the vehicle’s construction. In addition to the CFRP roof (already seen on the M3 and M4), the M4 GTS gains a CFRP bonnet, which is 25 per cent lighter than an aluminium equivalent and contributes to a lower centre of gravity.
The strong, lightweight material is also used for the rear diffuser, front splitter and rear wing (on aluminium mounts).
Contributing further to the weight reduction are a titanium quad-exhaust system, carbon-ceramic brake discs and staggered M light alloy wheels, measuring 19 inches up-front and 20 inches for the rear and sporting Acid Orange highlights.
Recaro M carbon race bucket seats, weighing 50 per cent less than the regular M4 seats, highlight the interior; a rear-seat deletion and minimalist door panels featuring BMW M door pull straps in place of handles reinforce the M4 GTS’s intent.
A specific centre console features Alcantara trim and weighs 30 per cent less than the regular M4 unit. The lightweight fabric is also applied to the steering wheel, which is finished with orange stitching at the 12 o’clock position to further focus the driver.
The BMW M4 GTS’s carbon-fibre front splitter, highlighted in Acid Orange, is manually adjustable. The road setting retracts the splitter for improved cooling and pedestrian protection, while the race track setting provides more airflow underneath the vehicle, providing 105 Newtons of downforce at 200km/h.
A carbon rear spoiler, mounted on aluminium supports, is three-way adjustable with a minimum-drag setting for road use and two options for the track. In full downforce mode, the rear spoiler generates 375 Newtons of downforce at 200km/h.
Owners can also tune the BMW M4 GTS’s suspension to suit the road – or track – that lies ahead.
The M Coilover suspension is three-way mechanically adjustable, allowing up to 16 ‘clicks’ of damper rebound adjustment. High-speed damper compression is adjustable over 14 clicks, while low-speed compression can be set at any one of six clicks.
Additionally, manual ride height adjustment can also be effected via a dial on the suspension struts.
M Carbon Ceramic brakes use six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, offering the latest in fade resistance while significantly reducing unsprung weight.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres have been specifically tuned for the BMW M4 GTS, sized 265/35/ZR19 on the front axle and 285/30/ZR20 on the rear.
Although firmly centred on the driving experience, the BMW M4 GTS offers a comprehensive standard specification to ensure day-to-day driving capability. This includes:
- Navigation System Professional
- Front and rear Park distance Control
- M Head-Up Display
- BMW Individual Instrument Panel finished in leather
- Six-speaker stereo system with DAB+ Digital Radio Tuner
- Alcantara/Merino leather upholstery
- BMW Individual High-Gloss Shadowline
- BMW Individual Headliner Anthracite
- BMW ConnectedDrive Freedom
- BMW TeleServices
- BMW Intelligent Emergency Call
- M Driver’s Package (increases top speed to 305km/h)
- Instrument Cluster with extended contents
- Hands-Free facility with USB interface
- Rain sensor
- Cruise control with brake function
- Alarm system
- M multi-function steering wheel
- Servotronic steering
- Lights Package
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Organic LED tail lights
- Tyre pressure monitor
- M Carbon Ceramic brakes
- M three-way adjustable coilover suspension
For those seeking the ultimate track experience, the BMW M4 GTS can be fitted with a street-legal Race Package as a no-cost option.
This includes a high-strength steel half roll-cage, six-point racing harness seat belts and a fire extinguisher system. For road use, the standard inertia-reel seat belts are also retained.
For the ultimate performance, unique M Carbon Compound wheels are also available (priced at $21,560 including GST and LCT), reducing unsprung weight by a further 7kg (in total). Measuring 9.5 x 19 inches up-front and 10.5 x 20 inches in the rear, the Carbon Compound wheels are formed in a combination of CFRP and aluminium for maximum lightness and durability.