AUSTRALIAN production of the fastest official Golf GTI to date commences next month ahead of this special edition’s arrival in July.
With a recommended retail price of $51,490 the Golf GTI TCR, which celebrates Volkswagen’s success in Touring Car Racing, is the ultimate expression of the current generation Golf GTI, the world’s favourite performance hatchback.
The Golf GTI TCR is the latest in the line of GTI special editions that began with the GTI Pirelli (Mark 5), through GTI 35th Anniversary (Mark 6) and GTI 40 Years (Mark 7, 2016).
The GTI TCR succeeds the acclaimed GTI 40 Years as the most powerful production version of the original ‘hot hatch’ model line. While both emulate the 213kW of the Golf R, the 40 Years achieved this power on overboost. In the GTI TCR this output is constantly attainable; an appreciable increase over the standard GTI’s 180kW.
VW GTI and Golf R Reviews:
The GTI TCR’s estimated 0-100km/h time is 5.7 seconds – 0.6 more rapid than the GTI 40 Years with DSG transmission and within one second of the Golf R DSG hatch’s 4.8 seconds.
Unlike the Golf R, GTIs eschew all-wheel-drive for the lighter weight of a front differential lock. In the TCR this is augmented by a bespoke adaptive chassis control and performance front brake system. The TCR rides more firmly and 5mm lower than the standard GTI.
The difference with GTI TCR and the usual GTI is also audible with a freer flowing system providing a distinctive note. A six-speed version of Volkswagen’s wet clutch DSG comes with the unfiltered 350Nm version of this engine tune.
Available in the Pure White and Tornado Red shades synonymous with GTI, the GTI TCR is also available in a new Pure Grey. All colours come with a black roof, distinctive honeycomb side decals and bespoke 19-inch alloys.
Interior features include Alcantara accents, black/red sports cloth upholstery, a new version of the GTI steering wheel with perforated leather at the hand positions and a red 12 o’clock marker.
The final iteration of the current generation Golf, 300 GTI TCRs will be available.
|VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI||$46,690|
- 180kW/370Nm 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine
- 7-speed wet-clutch DSG
- Front differential lock
- Golf R brake package
- Active Info Display
- Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) and Pedestrian Monitoring
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Assist with adaptive lane guidance
- Traffic Jam Assist and Emergency Assist
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert
- 18″ alloy wheels and adaptive chassis control
- GTI body styling
- 8″ satellite navigation system with App-Connect
- LED headlights and Light Assist
- Leather sports multi-function steering wheel
- ‘Clark’ sport cloth seat upholstery
- Electrically foldable exterior mirrors
- Rear View Camera (RVC) and Park Assist with manoeuvre braking
- Keyless Access, keyless entry and starting system
|Metallic/Pearl effect paint||$600|
|Sound & Style package
19″ Brescia alloy wheels, 9.2″ satellite navigation,
Gesture Control, Voice Control and Dynaudio Excite
400W premium audio system
Vienna leather upholstery, heated front seats, electrically
adjustable driver’s seat with memory function,
exterior mirrors with memory function,
panoramic electric glass sunroof
|VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI TCR||$51,490|
Additional and differing specification to the GTI:
- 213kW/350Nm 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine
- 6-speed wet-clutch DSG
- Modified exhaust
- Unique Adaptive Chassis Control, lowered 5mm
- Black mirror covers
- Honeycomb TCR decals
- Gloss black roof
- LED headlights with dynamic cornering light
- Dynamic light assist
- Sports cloth/microfleece seats
- Sports steering wheel with perforated leather and red 12 o’clock marker
- Seat belts and floor mats with red trim
- Alcantra gearshift lever and door trim inserts
|Glass panoramic sunroof||$1900|