the old and the new pictured above
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) will unveil its next-generation Outlander SUV for the first time in Asia at the 2012 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition*1 (Auto China 2012) which runs from 23 April to 2 May 2012.
Harmonizing environmental performance and a variety of new safety features with a refined appearance, the new Outlander embodies two major pillars to MMC’s product strategy outlined in its JUMP 2013 mid-term business plan: global strategic models focused on emerging markets and environmental initiatives.
*1: http://www.china-autoshow.com/2010bjx/en/ (English)
Also on display on the Mitsubishi Motors booth will be the upcoming 2013 ASX*2 compact SUV. With demand for SUVs growing fast in China, MMC plans to boost its supply of SUVs through local production of the 2013 ASX, sometime during fiscal 2012.
MMC’s show line-up of ten models (eight on Press Days) will also include the Pajero, which this year celebrates its 30th anniversary, and the Pajero Sport which was launched in the Chinese market in 2011.
*2: RVR or Outlander Sport in some markets
New Outlander: Product Features
The new Outlander to be unveiled for the first time in Asia at Auto China 2012 features outstanding environmental performance, returning fuel efficiency and CO2 emission levels which will be among the best in its class. Other features distinguishing the new Outlander include outstanding safety performance, stemming from the adoption of advanced safety technology, and a high-quality and user-friendly interior.
The new Outlander will be launched first in Russia this summer, after which it will be rolled out in Europe, Japan, China, Oceania, North America and other global markets. MMC plans to bring the new model to market in China during fiscal 2012.
(1) Outstanding environmental performance with fuel efficiency and CO2 emission levels among best in class
- The China-market Outlander will be offered with either the 4J11 2.0-litre in-line 4-cylinder 16-valve SOHC MIVEC*3 or the 4J12 2.4-liter 4-cylinder 16-valve SOHC MIVEC engines which both employ the all-new and improved version of the MIVEC variable valve train.
- Body structure optimization and more extensive use of high-tensile strength steel panels mean that the new Outlander weighs less than the current model and together with improved aerodynamics this helps it to deliver a level of environmental performance which is among the best in its class.
- Furthermore, the new Outlander will be equipped with an “eco-friendly driving system” that notifies the driver when he or she is driving at maximum efficiency. With this system, the driver can choose to drive at maximum efficiency to enhance actual fuel efficiency of the vehicle.
*3: Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system
(2) Outstanding safety performance borne from advanced safety technologies
The new Outlander delivers outstanding safety performance through the use of the following advanced safety technologies:
· FCM (Forward Crash Mitigation System): This system detects other vehicles on the road in front of the car and automatically applies the brakes as necessary to reduce the chance of a forward collision or reduce damage from a forward collision.
· ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control System): This radar-based system operates to maintain a safe distance between the vehicle in front even at the very low speeds experienced in heavy traffic congestion.
(3) Refined, user-friendly interior
· The dashboard is covered with soft padding while the high-quality look to the interior has been enhanced with the use of a piano-black centre panel and the effective use of chrome and silver highlights. The new Outlander cockpit is also distinguished by its ergonomic layout of easily-operable controls and switches together with high-resolution and easy-to-read instrument displays.
· The comfortable second- and third-row seats (the latter a first for a China-market Outlander) can be easily configured to provide a number of seating patterns and also a very spacious luggage space with a flat floor.
· A power-operated tailgate facilitates loading and unloading.
The ASX is a compact SUV which was launched in the China market in September 2010. It enjoys high popularity for its exterior and interior design that express quality and sportiness and for its outstanding motive and environmental performance. The ASX is also known for its high levels of safety, winning high marks for collision safety in North America and Europe.
To further bolster its SUV supply in China Mitsubishi Motors plans to start local production of the ASX at a joint venture company in which MMC will hold a 50 percent stake. The locally-produced ASX will feature minor design changes, mainly to the exterior, which will give it a more dynamic and high-quality appearance.