- Peugeot unveils next-generation i-Cockpit cabin
- Previews interior of future passenger vehicles
- Designed for an instinctive, safer and natural driving experience
- 2.2 million vehicles worldwide features first generation i-Cockpit
Peugeot i-Cockpit®: an innovative cabin driving concept
Peugeot believed for many years that the in-car cabin environment is just as important as the driving experience. This led to a rethink in the way Peugeot designs its interiors – with the driver placed at the centre of the cabin design.
This thinking has led to an innovative interior layout, dubbed i-Cockpit®. It includes the following essential elements:
- A compact steering wheel which offers more agile manoeuvrability and improved driving sensation, turning the act of driving into an intuitive pleasure. With arms no longer needing to be so open and wide to grasp the steering wheel, the breadth of movement during manoeuvres is reduced, thus making the driver more responsive and agile, in a more relaxed driving position.
- A head-up instrument panel that displays all relevant information in front of the driver. The driver does not need to look away from the road and can fully concentrate on driving. This ergonomic position, made possible due to the compact proportions of the steering wheel, increases driver comfort by reducing tiredness.
- A large touchscreen that intuitively displays all comfort controls (radio, air conditioning, and more) and offers natural control of all the vehicle’s information and equipment.
The result is an incredibly streamlined, modern and technologically informing instrument panel. The lack of buttons, along with the choice of high-grade materials and high manufacturing quality, enhances the specificity of the Peugeot i-Cockpit® and increases driving pleasure, agility and driver concentration.
A new generation high-tech Peugeot i-Cockpit®
The new generation of i-Cockpit® benefits from technological advances that improve comfort and safety, and that engage all the senses of the vehicle’s occupants.
Peugeot’s engineers and designers made it real by making a sculpture representing the front of a passenger compartment.
The highly accomplished and perfectly functional new Peugeot i-Cockpit® retains all the existing codes, with a resolutely intuitive arrangement.
- The steering wheel is even more compact and re-designed to free up more of the driver’s field of vision and leg space.
- The head-up instrumentation display is a 12.3-inch high-resolution digital screen with futuristic graphics. It is fully customisable and displays everything the driver needs, within the field of vision. The aesthetics of each configuration are heightened by animations and transitions that are a pleasure to behold.
- The large 8-inch touchscreen is like a tablet set against the middle of the instrument panel, and comes with interactive technology for increased responsiveness and practicality when used.
All these features are rounded off by a centre console of high-end design. A set of elegant chromed toggle switches attract the occupants’ eyes, while their soft and metallic feel exudes high quality. This sensation continues with the modern and ergonomic gear lever, which responds to light pushes.
Everything in the i-Cockpit® interior flatters the senses, exudes quality and introduces innovation. Be it the design of certain components in satin chrome, the figure-hugging seats, the design of the door panels, the audacious choice of materials, like the grey fabric, or the precision of assembly, the cabin is incredibly accomplished: an invitation to futuristic driving pleasure!
Of course this new Peugeot i-Cockpit® concept is compatible with the best technologies currently available on the market:
- 3D navigation, connected to voice recognition, and the possibility of transferring navigation and direction indications directly onto the head-up screen;
- Hands-free device with voice commands, automatic management of text messages (reading, sending);
- Information on a number of available driving aids;
- Connectivity due to the Mirror Screen function and the Apple CarPlayTM, Mirrorlink® and Android Auto technologies.
And it does not stop there! With instinctive driving featuring as one of Peugeot’s core values the new Peugeot i-Cockpit® pushes sensory experience even further. At the simple press of a button, nearly all senses are immediately engaged;
- Sight, by playing on the intensity of lighting and the possibility of changing the inner chromatic atmosphere;
- Hearing, with musical atmospheric settings;
- Touch, with the seats offering multipoint massages and the buttons a delight to use;
- Smell, with a fragrance diffuser.
Two atmospheres are offered as standard to the occupants: “Boost”, for dynamic driving, and “Relax”, for a calmer driving experience. Both atmospheres are entirely customisable, making it possible to go beyond the driver’s and passengers’ pleasure and make their on-board experience unique, engaging and unforgettable.
The new Peugeot i-Cockpit® goes further in all fields. More quality in its presentation, more technology in its design, better connected, more intuitive, and taking excitement and personalisation even further: it is the embodiment of what future driving cabins will be, and the materialisation of tomorrows’ Peugeot interior.
i-Cockpit – an unquestionable success
In the past four years this core signature has been rolled out on Peugeot’s three best-selling models, which this year all feature in the European top three of their respective segments:
- The 208, renewed and re-energised last year;
- The 2008, whose new version has just been revealed at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show;
- The 308, Peugeot’s overall best-seller.
Since 2012, over 2.2 million customers have enjoyed the characteristic Peugeot i-Cockpit®.
All client surveys conducted in Europe and China agree: driving in a Peugeot i-Cockpit® vehicle is a rewarding and stimulating experience.
The concept is now becoming known as the major distinctive feature of Peugeot’s recent creations. Yet Peugeot wants to go further still and explore new sensory concepts, so that driving a Peugeot really does become a unique, unforgettable, compelling and addictive experience.