- BMW model family celebrates the premiere of another new model series; BMW 2 Series Coupe raises the bar in the premium compact segment in terms of dynamic ability, aesthetic appeal and emotional allure; a distinctive vehicle concept unique in its segment, with a two-door body in classic three-box design typical of BMW Coupes, four seats, rear-wheel drive and an engine range and chassis set-up focused squarely on sporting ability; market launch from March 2014, line-up to include a BMW M Performance Automobile – the BMW M235i Coupe.
- BMW 2 Series Coupe given clear visual differentiation from the compact BMW 1 Series models thanks to an individual design, including an
11-centimetre increase in body length; elegantly sporty, stretched lines with roofline flowing smoothly into the rear; distinctive front and rear end design; body at its widest over the rear axle, emphasising the rear-wheel-drive configuration; BMW Sport Line, BMW Modern Line and M Sport package offer scope for individualisation.
- Newly designed Coupe series with significantly larger dimensions than its predecessor, the BMW 1 Series Coupe; length increased by 72 millimetres to 4,432 millimetres, width by 32 millimetres to 1,774 millimetres, wheelbase by 30 millimetres to 2,690 millimetres, front track width by 41 millimetres to 1,521 millimetres and rear track width by 43 millimetres to 1,556 millimetres; improved interior space, including 19 millimetres of extra headroom in the front and 21 millimetres of additional legroom in the rear compartment; boot capacity increased by 20 litres to 390 litres; rear seat backrests split into two or, as an option, folding 40 : 20 : 40; optimised aerodynamic details for an improved Cd over both its predecessor and the BMW 1 Series of 0.29 (BMW 220i Coupe).
- Petrol and diesel engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology deliver segment-leading figures in terms of both sporting ability and efficiency; BMW 220i Coupe is the first compact BMW model to be powered by the 135 kW/184 hp version of the 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine; four-cylinder diesel engines developing 105 kW/143 hp in the BMW 218d Coupe, 135 kW/184 hp in the BMW 220d Coupe and 160 kW/218 hp in the BMW 225d Coupe; also available to order from launch is the range-topping BMW M235i: the most powerful petrol-driven BMW M Performance Automobile has a 3.0-litre six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower technology and 240 kW/326 hp, M-specific tuning for chassis components and aerodynamically optimised body features.
- Efficiency increased further by extensive BMW EfficientDynamics technology, including Air Curtains and the Auto Start Stop function in conjunction with both manual and automatic gearbox; ECO PRO mode activated via the standard-fitted Driving Experience Control switch, including coasting function in conjunction with automatic gearbox and including Proactive Driving Assistant if Navigation system Professional is specified.
- Unmistakable BMW handling attributes and impressive ride comfort thanks to rear-wheel drive, longitudinally mounted engines, perfectly balanced distribution of weight and sophisticated chassis technology; double-joint spring strut front axle and five-link rear axle with bespoke tuning; Electric Power Steering and powerful brakes as standard; variable sport steering, M Sport braking system and Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers optional; DSC stability control system including DTC and an electronic locking function for the rear axle differential as standard; M Performance mechanical limited-slip differential available for the BMW M235i Coupe from launch through the Original BMW Accessories range.
- High-strength and torsionally stiff body structure developed on the basis of the BMW 1 Series, which has been awarded a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating; extensive occupant protection provided by safety equipment including front, side and head airbags; pedestrian protection optimised by the active bonnet and defined front end deformation zones.
- High-quality interior with driver-focused cockpit; automatic climate control standard; iDrive operating system in conjunction with BMW Professional radio or navigation system including Control Display in exclusive BMW flatscreen design; optional Navigation system Professional including Touch Controller; wide variety of storage compartments, stowage areas and cupholders.
- Selection of optional driver assistance systems and mobility services from BMW ConnectedDrive unparalleled in the compact segment: anti-dazzle High Beam Assistant, Adaptive Headlights, Parking Assistant, rear view camera, Driving Assistant, Speed Limit Info with No Passing Info display, cruise control system with braking function, extended integration of smartphones and music players, Real Time Traffic Information, Online Entertainment, extended functionality provided by apps for internet-based services such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Model variants:
BMW M235i Coupe: Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology (twin-scroll turbochargers, High Precision Direct Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing, Double-Vanos).
Capacity: 2,979 cc, output: 240 kW/326 hp at 5,800 – 6,000 rpm, max. torque: 450 Nm / 332 lb-ft at 1,300 – 4,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 5.0 seconds (automatic: 4.8 seconds),
top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph.
Average fuel consumption: 8.1 litres (7.6 litres) per 100 kilometres / 34.9 (37.2) mpg imp,
CO2 emissions: 189 g/km (176 g/km), exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW 220i Coupe: Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (twin-scroll turbochargers, High Precision Direct Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing, Double-Vanos.
Capacity: 1,997 cc, output: 135 kW/184 hp at 5,000 – 6,250 rpm,
max. torque: 270 Nm / 199 lb-ft at 1,250 – 4,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 7.0 seconds (automatic: 7.0 seconds),
top speed: 235 km/h / 146 mph (230 km/h / 143 mph).
Average fuel consumption*: 6.1 – 6.3 litres (5.7 – 6.0 litres) per 100 kilometres / 46.3 – 44.8 (49.6 – 47.1) mpg imp,
CO2 emissions*: 142 – 148 g/km (134 – 139 g/km), exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW 225d Coupe: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (two turbochargers, multi-stage turbocharging, common rail direct injection with piezo injectors, max. injection pressure: 2,000 bar).
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 160 kW/218 hp at 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 450 Nm / 332 lb-ft at 1,500 – 2,500 rpm,
Acceleration automatic [0 – 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 6.3 seconds,
top speed: 242 km/h / 150 mph.
Average fuel consumption*: 4.7 litres per 100 kilometres / 60.1 mpg imp,
CO2 emissions*: 124 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6 (provisional figures).
BMW 220d Coupe: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (turbochargers with variable inlet geometry, common rail direct injection with solenoid valve injectors, max. injection pressure: 1,800 bar).
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 135 kW/184 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 380 Nm / 280 lb-ft at 1,750 – 2,750 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 7.2 seconds (automatic: 7.1 seconds),
top speed: 230 km/h / 143 mph (230 km/h / 143 mph),
average fuel consumption*: 4.5 – 4.8 litres (4.2 – 4.4 litres) per 100 kilometres / 62.8 – 58.9 (67.3 – 64.2) mpg imp,
CO2 emissions*: 119 – 125 g/km (111 – 117 g/km), exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW 218d Coupe: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (turbochargers with variable inlet geometry, common rail direct injection with solenoid valve injectors, max. injection pressure: 1,600 bar).
Capacity: 1,995 cc, output: 105 kW/143 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max. torque: 320 Nm / 236 lb-ft at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 8.9 seconds (automatic: 8.6 seconds),
top speed: 213 km/h / 132 mph (213 km/h / 132 mph).
Average fuel consumption*: 4.3 – 4.5 litres (4.2 – 4.4 litres) per 100 kilometres / 64.9 – 62.8 (67.3 – 64.2) mpg imp,
CO2 emissions*: 114 – 119 g/km (111 – 117 g/km), exhaust standard: EU6.
* Figures according to EU test cycle, may vary depending on the tyre format specified.
BMW 225d Coupe and BMW 218d Coupe: all performance, fuel consumption and emissions figures are provisional.